Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Knocking on Sekhmet's Door

You've just knocked on a neighbor's door.  If you've had a poor interaction with them in the past, they'll be slow to come to the door, and harder to coax into helping you with whatever project you need them for, even if it's just to borrow a cup of sugar, or maybe an egg or two.

That's basically how I try to think of calling forth an entity these days. I think it's a healthy view that allows oneself to consider how they're communicating and acting with the entity that has been summoned, and what kind of relationship you're building.

My first attempt at summoning Sekhmet a while back, was kind of craptastic. I gave her no reason to come to the door. My offering was poor, and I didn't understand that an offering is meant to be a sacrifice, something that took time/effort to obtain. She eventually came to the door anyway, realized I had decent intentions, and didn't write me off entirely. It wasn't a bad start, but it could have been a lot better.

This time, I had the offerings I wanted. Everything else went wrong. My charcoal wouldn't light, so the incense I mixed for her, of myrrh and cloves wouldn't burn. The red candle I had selected for her burnt merrily however, and I decided to go on. I made do with grabbing a small handful of the myrrh and sprinkling it over the candle flame a few times as an offering with the candle.

I sat in front of the simple altar I had created, and I spoke to her. I asked her to come forth, I told her that I offered her a candle the color of blood. I paused, and I offered her the cloves and the myrrh as well, even though they weren't burning. Within a second of making that offering, the censer sprung to life! I was amazed, and opened my eyes as the smell of the incense I had made wafted around the room. It was clear that she had accepted the offerings I made to her.

I then thanked her for accepting the humble offering I had made, and explained to her my desire of establishing a working relationship with her, and learning the lessons that she had to teach. I felt that this was understood, and also explained how I was making a dagger in her image from a bronze spearhead, from a time and people who once knew her and respected her. I further explained that if she was ok with the idea that I would like to be able to imbue the dagger with her power in the future, so that I could use it in workings where it would aid me. She seemed to agree with this idea (yes, I'll have a picture of the dagger up in the future) however it would only be possible once we have established a better rapport.

She seemed pleased that I understand and respect her "negative" attributes  as much as her positive ones. She could only be considered a "mother goddess" in the sense that a mother lion will show incredible ferocity and Will to harm anyone who dares harm her cubs. There is nothing "gentle" about her. She's a stark contrast to Anubis, whose energy seems calming, and cold. There's a reason Sekhmet was called Lady of the Flame, and there's a reason why offerings were made to her in ancient times to quell her anger. She is the right Eye of Ra, and a goddess of divine judgment. To see her as anything less is foolhardy if you're approaching her.

Know who you're summoning, and for the love of god, don't whitewash them. If they were once worshiped as a warrior goddess who once nearly killed everyone while in a blood-rage, there's probably a reason for it. If you don't show proper respect at someone's door, you might get clawed up, or at very least have a bad start to a relationship. 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment