Monday, June 20, 2011

Hot Jupiter

 ( Excuse the bad astronomy joke)
 I started doing a rite for a friend, to help him gain better financial stability in his life. I figured I would do some simple candle magic, carved his name into the candle, along with the seal of Jupiter. I asked for the assistance of Jophiel, thanked them for the bounty of opportunities I've had lately in becoming more secure in my health and my finances, and put my intent and energy into the candle. I noticed the flame was devouring the candle much more quickly than usual, but didn't pay too much attention to it. After a bit, I realized my eyes were burning a little, and I smelled something burning, more than just the candle. A little bit of examination showed that the ceiling of my altar was burning, and the shelf above it was very hot to the touch. Not wanting the smoke alarm to go off, or my altar to catch on fire...I snuffed the candle, made sure nothing was still burning, moved the altar-tile that I use to burn candles on, and re-lit the candle elsewhere, without any further problems.

I found myself wondering what on earth was it that made the candle burn so much hotter than usual. I use the same standard size, and nothing had really changed about my altar space. My mind went back to a post I read on Head for the Red and how Jupiter is firey. The thing that strikes me as odd about this, is that with all the work I've done with Sekhmet, her candles never had that effect. I lit them in exactly the same place, they were exactly the same size, and she devoured her offerings with vigor.  She's a very firey entity, so what happened? The only thing I can think of, is that in the case of my other work, the candles have been purely offerings, and were not used to send out intent-filled energy to help another person. Perhaps with the combination of working with Jupiter, and trying to "send" that energy, the heat intensified to the point it could burn my altar? I'm honestly not sure. For safety's sake though, I'm not using that same space for altar space anymore.

0 comments:

Post a Comment