Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Offerings

You may remember when I started trying to work with Sekhmet. It was pointed out to me that one of the reasons why she may not have responded right away, was the quality of my offering. It wasn't something I had really considered before. With Anubis, he's practically right there when I call. But Erelin pointed out to me that an offering is meant to be something you put effort into getting for the spirit. I don't drink, so dipping into a rum bottle that had been sitting around forever, and pouring some for Sekhmet, isn't actually that great of an offering, considering I just walked into the kitchen to get it. It wasn't special, it was just something I had around.

With that in mind, I went the extra mile with getting the supplies for the offering to the Spirits of Venus. (and I'll do better for Sekhemet and go to some trouble to get something good for her next time I call) After a long day at work, instead of going home, I went to the nearest store for the herbs I needed for the incense offering, and selected the best looking red candle in the store. With that done, I hopped on the train home.

After getting home, I ate dinner, and made sure I was refreshed, I set up my altar, called the spirits, expressed my sincere apology to them, and made the offering. I lit the candle first. Then I lit the incense. The charcoal didn't want to light at first, but soon the wonderful smells of saffron, rose hips, and myrrh were coming from the censer. I don't think I'll ever use stick incense again. There is no comparison.

The entire candle was gone within an hour or two. By gone, I mean gone. The wax evaporated, leaving only a dime-sized bit of wax with a bit of burnt wick in it. I've never seen such a clean burn, and can only believe that the spirits accepted my offering. I felt the presence again, but this time it was much more subtle. 

So what have I learned from all of this? It's that offerings are indeed meant to have some effort put into them. Something you had "laying around" isn't the same as going out and getting something special. When you call a spirit, you are knocking on their door. When they open their door, do you really want to be the one standing there with something you had sitting around and didn't, need? Do you really think they're going to want to take whatever it was that you had sitting around? If they do, it'll be halfheartedly.  If you go out and get someone a gift, the response is much different!

An offering is a gift. It shows you care enough to go out and get something nice. This is especially important when you do the equivalent of knocking on a stranger's door, and tell them to keep their damn kids off your lawn, except they don't have any kids... well it sounded good in my head anyway.

Next time I knock on Sekhmet's door, or any other entity I'm trying to build a relationship with, I'll be sure to be there with something new, and worth putting a bow on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment